Thursday, June 13, 2013

Metaphors

The mess is a bit more under control, thanks to a friend who came over a couple days ago to give me some direction.

Before she left, she looked at my living room, smiling, and told me that it looked really good.  I think she may have said that I'd gotten a lot done.

And all I wanted to do was cry.  I did cry.  I didn't want a clean living room.

(Crazy.)

I re-covered a chair last fall (or maybe in the winter?  Can't remember.)  I finished it late one night, and I cried as I finished it.  I sobbed when I was completely finished.  And before I could go to bed, I felt compelled to tear apart *another* chair.  So I took all the fabric off of another chair, and I felt better.

I can't sit in the re-covered chair.  I don't know why.

My friend (the one who dove into the mess in my house with me) has described these types of things as a 'metaphor' for something - something that's going on underneath all of the frantic bedroom painting, furniture rearranging, 'crap' purging, chair re-covering, and yard destruction.  I think she's right, but I don't really know what the metaphor is exactly.

I have recently started talking with a grief counselor.  He offered some perspective on the glass-shattering fixation I have, talking about its symbolism.  Although it was helpful to start thinking about why I want to throw things and break things and shatter things, and then clean them up, it was really painful.  It hurt a lot.  We didn't talk about it long.

But it does sorta help to think about what it all 'means'.  Because there is more to it than just throwing and destroying things.




2 comments:

  1. I don't have a clean living room, but I understand not wanting one. I don't want to be done with housework because there should be more. Laundry, dishes, noise, mess, there should be more.

    There is so much pain in everything. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you've read this: http://angiesmithonline.com/2008/05/the-past-and-the-pitcher/

    That's immediately what I thought of when you talked about wanting to break things.

    Hugs friend.

    ReplyDelete