Monday, June 24, 2013

A Letter to Strangers

To the People I've Met Recently,

I don't have 4 children.  

I have *5*.

Well, actually, I have nine.  Ten, if you count my foster baby.  And I do count him.  :-)  But that gets really complicated.  

But out loud, when you (a stranger or new acquaintance) ask, 'How many children do you have?', I answer '4'.  And my heart is breaking as the words come out of my mouth.

But I can't say '5'.  You, a stranger, aren't asking me how many living and dead children I have.  Divulging that much information can put someone in a really awkward position.  Really awkward.  And I don't like to make people feel awkward.

But I need to make it right.  Somehow.  Virtually.  

This is what's true:

There isn't *just one girl amongst all those boys*.  

I do have my hands full with these four, but if I had my way, my hands would be even fuller.

There's another Lindegren whose earthly home isn't under my roof, but beneath a stone, and whose eternal home is already occupied.

I have another baby, a 'youngest', and almost a year ago she changed my life forever.

There might be four kids at the pool with me, but a huge piece of my heart is with the 'youngest' - the one who's not at the pool with me.

I may smile at you when I tell you about my four, but I wish more than anything that I could tell you about my 5th.  And show you a picture.

I still love to show people Elliana's picture.  I know I post pictures here on my blog and occasionally on Facebook.  So a lot of people have already seen her.  BUT... showing the pictures isn't about YOU seeing the pictures.  It's about me (as selfish as that sounds) - a mom who loves her baby girl and just likes to show off her picture and talk about her.

I do believe that another beer bottle (or 50) may get broken in the near future.  Shoulda taken the opportunity I had over the weekend.  




2 comments:

  1. It's ok if people feel awkward. They can own their awkwardness and deal with it. You are the mom living without one of her precious children, and that trumps anything else.

    I'd LOVE to see more of Elliana's pictures, any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to send you some more. I keep forgetting.

      I'm having such a night. I know you get it. It's coming up on a whole lot of one-year marks. Almost a year since that ultrasound. I remember so much, so vividly, about that day. Even things about the weekend before that day. Tonight it just feels like she's died all over again. I find myself putting my hand to my chest without even thinking about it. Not sure why I do it. Maybe just because that's where I last felt her.

      I HATE IT - THAT YOU AND I ARE ON SIMILAR JOURNEYS. But, at the same time, I'm really glad you're here.

      Delete