Thursday, May 23, 2013

The End of the Voicemail Boycott

On October 2 last year, a friend called and left me a voicemail - she said that she was on her way to visit me in the hospital.

I saved that message for months.  It was one of those 'pieces of Elliana's life' that I couldn't let go of.

About 2 months ago, I got a new phone.  Which was a fairly big ordeal, considering the huge attachment I had to my old phone.

A couple of days after getting my new phone, I missed a call.  A minute later, I received a text from this person saying, 'I just tried to call, but couldn't leave you a message.  Your voicemail isn't set up.'

I'm sorry - WHAT???!?!?!!!!????

Somehow, getting a new phone 'reset' my voicemail.  And the message from October 2 that I'd been saving... was gone.

I haven't been able to make myself go through the whole new voicemail set-up thing.  I guess doing that means acknowledging that the last 'tangible' (well, audible) piece of my week in the hospital with Elliana is gone.

Any time anyone has mentioned the inconvenience of having no option to leave me a voicemail, I've cringed on the inside.  It's just one of those things that I haven't wanted to think about.

But then... today.  My birthday.  And those sisters of mine who want to be all sweet and sing to me.  :-)

I should say first, in their defense, that neither of them had any clue about the 'why' behind my voicemail boycott.  :-)

My sister, Hayley (who can always make me smile), wrote me today on facebook:  'Someday, you might want your voicemail set up.  Like, say, today.  Because I can't sing you 'Happy Birthday' on facebook when you're not free to answer your phone. :)  (HUG)'

This made me smile.  And I thought maybe I could set up my voicemail.

Shortly after that, my sister, Ashley (who can always make me laugh) texted me something like, 'If you don't set up your voicemail box soon, I will cut you.  And I'm not really even sure what that means.  I saw it on a note on Pinterest and thought it sounded intimidating.  SET UP YOUR VOICEMAIL!!!'

This made me laugh hysterically.  And I did set up my voicemail.

Guess what I discovered while setting up my voicemail?

That I had a saved message from October 2.  My last tangible (audible) piece of that first week of October is still there.

As weird as it might be, that made my day.  :-)




2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I am so relieved for you! Awesome birthday present from Elliana :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best birthday present I could have gotten this year, I think. :-)

      Delete