Monday, July 30, 2012

My Phone

A couple weeks ago, my phone fell into the pool.  Well, it was sort of catapulted into the pool, accidentally.  When it still wasn't showing any signs of life a week after its accident, I declared it dead.

I loved my phone.  I probably bordered on making an idol of my phone (which seems sort of obvious, since I'm dedicating an entire post to a phone).  It's been my lifeline to the world for over a year.  I rarely talk on the phone - too much risk of a child crying in the background.  So I stayed connected to the world by texting and checking in on facebook to see what the rest of the world was doing.  It made me feel like I was still a part of everyone's lives... in a very virtual sort of way.

A sweet friend let me borrow her old phone while I waited to see if my Droid would survive, and the one I borrowed was similar to mine.  It did just about everything mine did, but it was different.  I'll confess - I cried - more than once - over not having my phone.  I felt absoluely ridiculous.  IT'S JUST A PHONE, for pete's sake.

A sweet, sweet someone, who must have understood my grief over the phone better than I did at the time, replaced it for me.  This dear someone found a pre-owned Droid X on ebay and had it shipped to me.  Yes, I cried.  I think this person has no idea HOW MUCH that gift means to me.

And now that I have the electronic love of my life back in my hands, I know why its 'death' was so difficult for me.  Since July 3, my world just feels like it's been completely turned upside down.  Nothing is the same.  Waking up is different.  Interacting with my children is different.  Feeling Elliana kick is different.  Being with and talking to people is different.  Even watching tv is different - I can no longer watch any kind of drama - I cry too easily (insert roll of the eyes here).  Eating, sleeping, sometimes even breathing - it's all different now.  My phone, though, is familiar.  It's the same.  It does what I tell it to do, what I need it to do.  I know where to find things on it.  It's a piece of plastic (or metal? or both? who cares.) that feels familiar in my hand.  And at this particular time, when everything else in life feels so different and upside down, I needed something that was familiar.  Old.  From before July 3.

I feel like I sound completely ridiculous.  I probably think way too much.  :-)

1 comment: