Monday, May 27, 2013

Minor

I love songs in minor keys.  A friend was telling me about her passion for minor keys not long ago - the same friend who reminded me that 'music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent'

A couple weeks ago, I couldn't stop playing the piano.  I played Chopin, Beethoven, and one other composer (drawing a complete blank right now) over and over and over.  All pieces in minor keys.

I've recently heard a song by the artist, Plumb, that captures so much of what I think/feel/wonder.  It's in a minor key.  I've listened to it so many times that I've sort of started analyzing it.  

This is one of those times that I'm rolling my eyes, thinking that I drive mySELF crazy sometimes.

My thoughts surrounding this song:

**Well, first I need to say - the first time I listened to it, something about the chorus reminded me of 'Phantom of the Opera'.  It was odd.  Glad to get that off my chest.**


It's haunting.  The honesty of the lyrics.  The movement of the piano.  The 'pain' in her voice at times.

I think strings might possibly be the most mournful sounding instrument.  Piano can sound very sad - its music can definitely make me cry - but a violin or a cello... those instruments can just mourn.

My ear strains to hear the electric guitar playing those sixteenth notes after she sings the phrase 'I want you here'.  There's an intensity to it that draws my ear... and my heart.

The way she sings 'God, help me' - the first time, it almost sounds like she's buried under something.  Each plea becomes clearer, and then you realize she's asking Him to just.help.her.breathe.  

An ache so deep that I can hardly breathe.  

That's it exactly.  An ache so deep, that at times, it's hard to breathe.

I remember her hands.  So small.  And her feet.  So perfect.









No comments:

Post a Comment