Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Broken

I did it.  I smashed all (but one of) the glass bottles.

Yesterday, I thought it might be 'time'.  I knew I'd have a few free hours this morning, so I tried to find a 'safe' place for glass smashing.

I had a plan - a friend offered for me to throw all these bottles at their house.  But I was SO afraid that I would miss some of the glass in cleaning up, and that a child or animal would get hurt.

So... I asked a couple people.  Friends who know the area or have connections.  No luck.

I've considered going to the police department to ask if there's a building I could use, but I've been too afraid they'd send me straight to the psych ward.

Then I remembered that I know the city fire marshal.  So I went over to his office, sat down across from him, and said:  'You're going to think I'm crazy.  But do you happen to know of a building that I could use for breaking a whole lot of glass bottles, and NOT get arrested?'

He had a connection to someone who works for someone who owns an empty brick warehouse.

By 8:30pm last night, I had a plan.

And last night, I felt 'good' about the plan.  Sort of.

This morning, when I woke up and the weight of today hit me, I wasn't as sure about the plan.  I think I needed to go and throw all the bottles.  But I was really scared to.  

I don't want to analyze it too much.  That's exhausting.  But I was scared to actually go and throw/break/smash all the bottles.  It was a really big deal.  And it was really personal.  And I was afraid of it.  Really afraid of it.

But... this morning, I gathered some things and put them in the van.  The glass bottles, an empty plastic bin, a broom, a dustpan, socks and tennis shoes (because flip flops and broken glass don't mix), goggles (because my hubby and a sweet friend were worried about my eyes), an ikea bag, and... a cold beer.  Not sure exactly why I threw that in the box, but I'm glad I did.

On my way to the warehouse, I came to an intersection that has recently transitioned from being a 'no left turn' intersection to a 'go ahead and turn left' intersection.  I got to the light, it was green - no oncoming traffic - so I went ahead and turned.  It was only after I started turning that I noticed the 'NO LEFT TURN' sign BACK ON THE STOP LIGHT POLE.

WHAT THE HECK?!!!????

That intersection is only 2 blocks from the police department.  I was certain that I was about to get pulled over, me and my 50 empty beer and wine bottles.  Which, I was certain, would lead to a whole lot of questions.  And who knows what else.

Thankfully, the police were busy elsewhere.  :-)

Once I got to the warehouse, I unloaded my bottles, broom and goggles, and changed my shoes.  A sweet friend parked and waited outside - this warehouse wasn't exactly in a great part of town.

But it was the perfect warehouse.  Vacant.  Dripping water.  Right next to a railroad track.  The dissonant sound of the train's whistle was almost like background 'music' at times.

I'm not sure how much I want to blog about this.  Nothing I want to 'hide', but... I'm not sure how much I want to say.  Not sure how much I can say - it's difficult to put into words.

I can say this - I took one picture today.  I took a 'before' picture.  I think I may post that one.  I didn't take an 'after' picture.  I thought about it, and I didn't want to.

This was 'before'.




I threw the first couple bottles at the brick wall.  They bounced off the wall and shattered on the concrete floor.  Then I just started throwing the bottles at the floor.

It made a huge mess.

I cried.  Sat down on the ikea bag.  Drank the beer.  Cried.  Threw that bottle.

I'm really glad I brought that cold beer, by the way - partly because it just felt 'right'.  Partly because it was really hot in that warehouse.

I threw all but one bottle.  I'm not sure why I didn't throw the last one.  But I didn't want to leave without one bottle intact.

Last time I threw a bottle, I started to feel better only after I started sweeping up the mess.  

This time, I didn't want to clean up the mess.  I just wanted it to be... a mess.  A very big, ugly, broken mess.

My heart is broken.  My life feels broken.  I'm broken.

And *she* was broken.

1 comment: