Sunday, December 15, 2013

I *Might* Be a Little Competitive

First, corrections to my last post:

*The race benefits the Second Harvest Food Bank.  I'm all for that.  :-)

*The course didn't include Elam St.  :-(  I was kinda bummed.  But I took Elam street heading back to my car after the race, and I ran it then.  Mostly because I was so cold - and running warms me up!

K.  Glad I got those things cleared up.  Now, about the race...

The Running of the Balls was a 5K for runners and a walk.  Between both events, over 2500 people were registered.  That's important.  I'll tell you why later.  :-)

And I should say - I had to keep reminding myself that this was mostly 'just for fun'.  I'm SO competitive.  Even if I'm only really competing against my own time.  So throughout the evening, I had to keep telling myself to 'just have a good time', 'and enjoy the neighborhood lights', and 'quit thinking about what your time is going to be', and 'think about having fun'.  It was a bit of a battle - to stay relaxed about it.

I had a little trouble with packet pick-up - wound up in 3 different lines, and it took F O R E V E R.  So by the time I got to the starting line, it was almost 6pm, and there was a really big crowd already there.  My competitive self pushed me to try to get as close to the start line as I could - because I didn't want to be slowed down by all those people in front of me.  My rational self kept saying 'just have fun, Shannon - it doesn't matter how fast you run this one'.

The race started late, and I didn't even hear the official 'GO!'.  The crowd just started moving.  So I moved with them.

At a snail's pace.  It was torture.

I spent the first mile (which, thanks to MapMyRun, I know took me at least 2 full minutes longer than my typical 'first mile') trying to get past all the slow people (and I mean that in the kindest way possible) AND arguing with my competitive self to *just.calm.down* and have fun.

Pass a few people.  'Just have fun, Shannon.'  Get stuck behind more slow people.  'It's just about having a good time, Shannon.'  'WOULD YOU PEOPLE GET OUT OF MY WAY ALREADY?!?!'  'Shannon, you've GOT to get a grip.'  Pass a few more slow people.

This lasted about a mile.  The argument between competitive me and rational me.  And then, the crowd thinned out a little, I was able to run a little faster and freer, and I thought this:

You know what?  I might be doing this race just for fun because I love my Ella Belle.  BUT... *this mama* (Elliana's, Seth's, Missy's, Levi's and Elijah's mama) is competitive.  I'm done 'just having fun'.  I haven't changed THAT much!

So I ran.  And (I don't *think* I'm saying this arrogantly.  Just... well, it was just so fun!)... do you KNOW how many people I passed??  A LOT.

This is where the 2500 registered participants part is important.  :-)

Not all 2500 were runners - a bunch of those were walkers.  I'm not sure how many were actually running.  And of all the ones running, less than 150 were 'chip-timed' runners.  I was one of the 150.  Cuz... umm... *competitive*.)

Anyway, like I said, I'm not sure how many people ran.  A bunch.  But.. I know where I placed among all those runners.  :-)

I'm kinda proud of this.  It's not specTACular or anything, but... I was happy with it.

You ready for this?

I placed 45th overall.  I was the 45th person to cross the finish line.  And that made me happy.  Kinda feel like I kicked butt in that race.  And that girl... *the competitive, get-outta-my-way, I'm-gonna-KICK-YOUR-BUTT girl*... THAT girl - is Elliana's mama.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome Shannon...45th out of 2500! Keep running with endurance the race set before you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! So proud of you... and anyone who has played NERTS with you knows you are just a little competitive. ;-)

    ReplyDelete