Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Orange Flag

I went to the cemetery today.  And as I drove up, I noticed the time.  It was right about the time Jason was putting Elliana into a basket that Funeral Home Man brought to the hospital, on this date, four months ago.

Four months.  She would have been four months old yesterday.  Cooing and smiling and developing a little personality.

I remember the morning we went to the cemetery to see Elliana's plot and (attempt to) pick out a headstone.  The day after I went home from the hospital.  Four days after my c-section.  You don't do things like that after major abdominal surgery.  You don't go places and pick out cemetery plots and headstones.  It felt so very wrong.  Cemetery Lady was very kind.  Very compassionate.  We sat around a conference table looking at a map of the cemetery and a piece of paper with headstone options.

So very wrong.

And then Cemetery Lady took us to what she affectionately called 'Baby Land' - the small piece of land in the cemetery just for babies.  I wish I felt affectionate towards that name, but I don't.  It sort of makes me want to throw up.  No, it does make me want to throw up.

I remember driving up, getting out of the van, and following Cemetery Lady to the edge of 'Baby Land' where a little orange flag marked the spot that Elliana's body would be buried the next day.

I don't remember if I said anything.  I think I cried.  What do you say at a moment like that?  'Yes, I like this spot.'  'This place is perfect.'  'I think Elliana will like it here.'

(Throwing shoes, wine glasses, fine china, vases and smashing laptops to pieces *here*.)

Fast-forward 3 days - October 12, I think.  We visited the cemetery.  The dirt was still freshly shoveled. There was hay on top of the dirt.  Pretty pink roses.

And that little orange flag was was sticking up out of the ground right next to Elliana's spot.

Confession:  my first thoughts were so incredibly self-centered.  Surely, that flag doesn't stay there all the time, just marking where the next plot is.  It's not very pretty.  If it has to be there, it should at least be pink.

My next thought:  What if another baby has died?

A couple days later, I had my answer.  Another mound of freshly shoveled dirt.  More hay.  Blue flowers.  A baby boy, one week old, had died.  Another mom had buried her baby.

It sounds weird, I know, but I think of them as neighbors.  I've never met those parents.  But when I go to visit Elliana and brush all of the dirt off of her stone with the little pink scrub brush I keep in the van, I clean Baby Boy's stone, too.

And yes, I really do keep a little pink scrub brush in the van to clean her stone.  It might be weird, but it's the only thing I can do to 'take care of her'.  I have no baby to feed, no diapers to change, no spit-up-covered clothes to wash.  I have a stone.  And a metal vase.  So I clean the stone, and I put pretty flowers in the vase.

Her flowers are still the pretty purple and yellow ones.  And there's a sparkly yellow butterfly in there, too.  But today, I don't care about the stupid sparkly butterfly.  Or fake purple flowers.  I just want her back.

My heart aches tonight.  Remembering the hours after Funeral Home Man took her away.  How I wanted to hold her just one more time.

Today when I went to the cemetery, the little orange flag was there.  Next to Baby Boy's stone.  Another mom will be burying her baby this week.

5 comments:

  1. I love you, my friend. Praying for you and these other mamas today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just letting you know that I'm "out here" reading and praying for you still, Shannon. Keep writing, and processing, and feeling, and sharing. Stuffing doesn't help:))

    Sometimes the insanity of grief doesn't seem to make any sense, but God does know exactly what He's doing. Don't let the enemy steal that joy from you. On the glorious day when you stand face to face with Him this trial will not compare to what He has in store for you.

    If it takes suffering to know Christ, then count it all joy because it only reveals that we are His. He is making you worthy of the Kingdom by forcing you to dig deep in your heart and see where your allegience lies. It is a foreign concept, but Jesus Himself told us that we would suffer in this world. Paul even said it was granted to believers~ a gift.

    Hold on. I know how it hurts. Stay in your Bible, memorize the promises of God, for there are the words of truth and hope. Our lives are a mist, some of us days, some of us too-few years of childhood ... but eternity is a long, long time and death will never be allowed to take a child again. Keep looking up, Jesus said that He is coming soon.

    With love and prayers, Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri. It does help to remember eternity. That there will be no more death, or sorrow, or tears. Some days, the promise of eternity gives me hope and keeps me from that downward spiral into the black hole. But some days, too many days, I forget the promise of eternity. And all I can see it 'today'. I think I just get stuck in getting though 'today'. Do you have those days? DID you have those days? Does it stop? I imagine that the day-to-day grief is even more difficult for you - you had years with your little boy. Years of memories and hugs and smiles to remember. I guess I just wonder - do the really, really hard days get fewer and further between?

      I admire your faith. Your strength. it gives me hope. :-)

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to come up with the *perfect* answer for you, Shannon:) Yes, I've been having those days for two years- nope, they haven't stopped yet. I don't think they will truly ever stop until eternity begins. Friends who lost a daughter eight years ago assure us that the pain does change, and eventually even becomes tolerable. I've come to realize that God makes us depend more and more on Him by giving only grace for the moment. Feel free to let me know if there are days when you especially need prayer (besides all the times that God puts you on my heart already)~ this is a tough, tough battle. But He said His grace is sufficient, and that He will never leave you or forsake. Keep fighting the good fight. Terri

    ReplyDelete