Saturday, December 22, 2012

Her Hair

I remember one of the first things I heard after Elliana was born.  It wasn't the sound of her cry.  It was the anesthesiologist, with a little sparkle of happiness in her eyes, telling me, 'She has blond hair.'


She had SO MUCH blond hair.

When I see other little girls with beautiful blond hair, it brings tears to my eyes.  Obviously, it's partly because I'll never get to see what my Elliana looks like as a bright-eyed, curious 3-year-old with long blond hair.  But it's something else, too.  The other day, I finally realized what it was. 

I was at the mall playground with my littlest boys.  A blond little girl, probably 2, was running around, a little initimidated by the rowdiness of my boys.  :-)  (Elliana wouldn't have been intimidated.  She would have been just as rowdy.)  This little girl was with her grandmother.  I found myself wishing that I could tell that grandmother about my little girl.

People ooh and aah over babies.  Their cute noses, their tiny fingers, their chubby cheeks.  I think if my girl were still living, people would be exclaiming over her hair.  They might comment about how much she had, or how blond it was, or ask which side of the family she got it from (and Jason would be super quick to take credit.). 

And even though she's not here, I still have a longing to show her off.  I wish I could have shared with that grandmother that my little girl also had beautiful blond hair.  Just like her granddaughter.  I wish that, at the very least, I'd had some reason to show her a picture - because even though she's gone, she's still my little girl.  And I think she was beautiful.  And I want the ooh's and aah's.

My son, Seth, has (had) gorgeous blond hair.  It was a little on the long side before Elliana was born.  But after she was born, I couldn't bear to cut it.  I felt like his little blond head was the only real glimpse I'd get of what Elliana's hair would have looked like if she had lived.  So I let it grow - and it was really cute.  :-)  Jason was patient for a while, but about a week ago, he felt like it was time.  And we cut Seth's hair.

Confessions of a grieving mom:  I saved some of his hair.  Because the hospital didn't save any of Elliana's. 

Heart. Broken.

My other daughter, Melissa, has a genetic disorder that we haven't officially identified.  There's been one strong possibility, and one of the characteristics of that particular disorder is 'excessive' hair.  But, as far as I know, excessive hair isn't one of the characteristics of Tetrasomy 9p.  So, I've wondered - did Elliana's Creator give her that beautiful head full of blond hair just for me?  Did He give me that piece of her just so that I would be able to 'see her' in the little blond heads that cross my path?  Or, is it just some random characteristic of a genetic disorder that has absolutely nothing to do with me, and she just had lots of blond hair because of the extra copies of chromosome 9?

So... if you're brave enough to do it, ask me to show you her picture.  Because if you ask me, I'll probably be very glad to show you her picture.  I have some on my phone, and I'm about to get some wallet-sized ones in the mail.  I might get teary-eyed, but I would be very happy to show off my beautiful 'Belle', and get your ooh's and aah's.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my word, she does have beautiful blond hair! I would love to hear all about your little princess. Pass me a note maybe my friend Amy and I could meet you for coffe over Christmas break. I would love to show you pictures of her precious son Uriah! I know he is probably play with Ellianna's beautiful hair. This Christmas as we celebrate our saviors birth. I will praise HIM for your daughters life, for Joel's life and Baby Uriah's life! They were here for Way to short of time but have impacted lives forever! Peace be with your family and you this Christmas! Kelly james

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hair! And a perfect, adorable ear! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I emailed you a while back to tell you that your blogs have touched me in a amazing way. I have never know a Christian to be so honest with their feelings as you have done. Your blogs have blessed me in ways I cannot describe. I would LOVE to see your daughter's pictures...what a honor that would show them, to me, a complete stranger. Please know that God has used you to touch my life.
    Fondly,
    Michelle Hopkins
    whopswife09@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to email you some of her pictures. Thank you for asking. I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow.

      It completely blows my mind that my blog could be a 'blessing' to anyone. I do agree with you that it's honest - I don't hold much back. :-) But I'm thankful that God is using my honesty to bless others.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry the hospital didn't save some of Elliana's hair for you. There is just so much of it! Amazing!

    I would love to see some more photos of Elliana if you'd like to share. I have emailed you.

    I know that feeling, that invisible-new-mom feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon,

    Your daughter is beautiful, and I must tell you in response to your questions...

    "Did Elliana's Creator give her that beautiful head full of blond hair just for me? Did He give me that piece of her just so that I would be able to 'see her' in the little blond heads that cross my path? Or, is it just some random characteristic of a genetic disorder that has absolutely nothing to do with me, and she just had lots of blond hair because of the extra copies of chromosome 9?"

    I believe Elliana's blonde hair was a gift to you. My daughter too was born with Tetrasomy 9p, and she never had a head of hair like that. She looked like a little bald man at birth.

    I hope this brings you some peace.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon,

    I wish I was near enough to ask you about Elliana and ask to see a picture. I'm so thankful you have those pictures and that she had hair like Seth's. I love that Kim's daughter had no hair proving that Elliana's hair was a sweet gift to you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete